Books, books, books. Literature. Language. Prose, style, expression. All sorts of other poetic shhhhiat.
I love the English language and have done since I was a child – spelling vague and wonderful words is my party trick. A fond childhood memory of mine is one of entering the Year 6 classroom to find that my whole class – teachers included – had conspired the previous day to find a single word I couldn’t spell.
They failed. I won. I love words. I’m a geek. Nerd. Whatever.
With that in mind, naturally I adore reading. Fiction or non, factual or fantasy, thriller, horror or crime novel – I will genuinely read anything and everything. I’m one of those “must-finish-book-once-I’ve-started-even-if-it’s-crap” types.
Reading is something I actually dedicate time and thought to, given the freedom of lifestyle the Boy & I are lucky enough to live; I actually get mad if I feel like I’ve wasted my time with a book, but love the whole experience anyway. You could find me poring over Jung Chang’s incredible biography of Chairman Mao; equally as likely, I’ll be ripping through a soppy rom-com novel. I often become obsessed with one author (*cough* Stephen King *cough*) and chew through a whole bunch of the same in one go, whilst the next minute I’ll be brushing up on my Marx & Lenin or reading about a vague psychedelic drug found only in the jungle of Peru. Sometimes, it just depends on what Amazon have in the Kindle store for 79p or less. Bargain.
With all this in mind, I’ve decided to keep a list here for my own perusal, but also for that of anyone who’s interested in hearing my (usually scathing) opinions on other people’s life-works (#soznotsoz). Reads from 2016 onwards.
- The Book of Strange New Things – Michel Faber
- Leaving Time – Jodi Picoult
- Midwinter Sacrifice – Mons Kallentoft
- Gray Mountain – John Grisham
- Red Dust – Ma Jian
- The Curvy Girls Club – Michele Gorman
- Gathering Blue – Lois Lowry
- Girls on Tour – Nicola Doherty
- Pet Sematary – Stephen King
- The Girl on the Train – Paula Hawkins
- Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
- Blood Sisters – Barbara & Stephanie Keating
- Lifeless – Mark Billingham
- Mr Mercedes – Stephen King
- The Power of One – Bryce Courtenay
- I Am Pilgrim – Terry Hayes
- DMT: The Spirit Molecule – Rick Strassman
- Palace of Treason – Jason Matthews
- Clan of the Cave Bear – Jean M. Auel
- Dreamcatcher – Stephen King